– 225g Bakers Street self-raising flour
– 2tsp Bakers Street baking powder
– 2tbsp caster sugar
– 50g Bakers Street sultanas
– 1 large egg
– 100ml milk
– Jam and clotted cream (to serve)
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark7. Sift the flour into a large bowl with the baking powder.
2. Add the chilled and diced butter and rub in with your fingertips to make fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar and sultanas.
3. Beat 1 large egg with the milk. Pour nearly all the egg mixture into the bowl of flour and butter and mix with a knife to form soft, but not sticky, dough. Add a little more of the egg mixture if needed.
4. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead lightly then roll out to a 2cm (3/4in) thickness. Use a 5cm (2in) round cutter to stamp out approx 9 scones, gently re-rolling the dough as necessary.
5. Place the scones on a lightly greased baking sheet. Arrange them so the sides are just touching, as this helps them to rise evenly. Brush the tops with any remaining egg mixture or a little milk and bake for 10-12 mins until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Split and serve with jam and clotted cream,